AAA TEXAS NHRA FALL NATIONALS KEY IN DECIDING SERIES CHAMPIONS
ENNIS, Texas (June 20, 2013) – In less than three months the 28th annual AAA Texas NHRA Fall Nationals will take center stage in the world of drag racing as Texas Motorplex again becomes the focal point of the Countdown to the Championship.
The second race in the Countdown, the Sept.19-22 AAA Texas NHRA Fall Nationals play a crucial role in determining the season’s champions — just ask defending Pro Stock titleholder Allen Johnson.
“We had a heck of a season a year ago,” said Johnson, who picked up his first championship, as did fellow Fall Nationals winner Antron Brown, who snagged the Top Fuel title. “But I can tell you, coming to Texas in September and getting out of there with that win was a big part of the reason we were able to end up with that trophy. That win padded our lead and gave us a lot of confidence heading in the last four races.”
One of only three all concrete drag strips on the NHRA circuit, Texas Motorplex, which opened in 1986, boasts a rich history. To no one’s surprise, 15-time Funny Car champion John Force, who salivates at the thought of competing at the Motorplex, leads all drivers in wins, with a total of seven.
Seven-time series champion Tony Schumacher leads all Top Fuel drivers with five victories at Texas Motorplex while Warren Johnson’s five wins leads the Pro Stock class. It’s a different story in Pro Stock Motorcycle, however, as no rider has ever been able to repeat in the 10 years that motorcycles have competed at the world-class facility.
Top Fuel winner and Fort Worth native Spencer Massey is among the drivers looking to make their mark in Ennis, along with rookie Brittany Force, who would like nothing better than to follow in her father’s ultra-successful footsteps at the Texas strip.
Gates open at 10 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 19 with sportsman qualifying runs between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. Two rounds of professional qualifying, at 2:15 and 5:15 p.m., highlight the Friday, Sept. 20 schedule, along with sportsman qualifying throughout the day. Saturday, Sept. 21 is packed with sportsman eliminations and the final two rounds of professional qualifying at 11:15 a.m. and 2:15 p.m.
Gates open at 8:30 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 22, with pre-race ceremonies at 10 a.m. and final eliminations getting under way at 11 a.m.
Tickets are available now, ranging from just $10 to $380 for weekend packages. Youth tickets for children 12 and under start as low as $5. For tickets or more information, please call the Texas Motorplex office at (800) MOTORPLEX or visit www.texasmotorplex.com.
1. Texas Motorplex was the FIRST super-stadium of drag racing
2. John Force has won more races here than any other professional racer: 7 wins in a Funny Car
3. NHRA drag racing is the quickest and fastest form of Motorsport
4. The AAA Texas NHRA Fall Nationals is the second of six playoff events in the NHRA Championship race
5. The beer is ice cold!
6. Billy Meyer, listed as one of the top 50 legends in NHRA history, owns the Motorplex
7. Top Fuel dragsters use 8,000 horsepower
8. Tickets are as cheap as $20!
9. Funny Cars go more than 309 mph
10. Fans can go through the professional pits and meet drivers
11. Fans will have a tough time choosing between the Fried Pickles or Cheesy Fries during the break between pro rounds
12. More than 400 race teams show up to compete
13. The all-concrete quarter-mile has produced record times and history-making moments
14. No one has ever repeated a victory in Pro Stock Motorcycle…. Will that change in 2013?
15. Tony Schumacher has five wins at Texas Motorplex – no other active driver has ever repeated at the Motorplex
16. The parking is free!
17. Fans get to celebrate in Winner’s Circle with the winning teams and racers
18. You can smell the nitro fuel used in Top Fuel and Funny Cars from the parking lot
19. There is a campground so you can stay all weekend!
20. We have 42-ounce souvenir cups shaped like a Top Fuel dragster!
21. No other sport shakes your body the way two nitro-burning cars thundering down the track
22. There are motor home spaces available on both sides of the track, giving you the closest seat possible to the competition
23. Texas Motorplex is a family-friendly facility that is great for kids
24. Midway display vendors like to give away free stuff
25. If you get a souvenir program signed by Top Fuel champion Antron Brown, you get FREE tickets to next year’s event
26. The Motorplex is the FASTEST track in Texas
27. Our online ticketing system allows you to choose the exact seats you want to watch the heart-pounding action from
28. We offer special ticketing discounts to active military and veterans!
29. You can take pictures and videos of the action and share it with your friends to make them jealous
30. Drivers all have FREE hero cards that fans can take home
31. There is a band in the campground to give live, free music on Friday and Saturday!
32. Champion’s Club has a catered meals and a cash bar with air conditioning and flat-screen TVs
33. Super Seat and Champion’s Club sections have comfy seat-backs!
34. With hundreds of cars on site, there are more than 5,000 pairs going down the track in four days
35. We host the DRAW Auction on Saturday night, giving fans a great chance to mingle and bid against the fastest drivers in the world for unique and one-of-a-kind items
36. Nitro the only thing guarantees to make a grown man cry – no really, some wear gas masks so they can get EVEN closer to the cars during warm-ups.
37. Fletcher’s Corn Dogs – need we say more?
38. Three full days of professional racing with hundreds of regional racers means no downtime during your weekend
39. We have a Harley-Davidson ticket package that includes lunch, a free gift and a meet-n-greet with Harley’s champion riders Eddie Krawiec and Andrew Hines
40. Opening Ceremonies on Sunday morning with an airplane jumper and the national anthem serves as another reminder why we live in the greatest country in the world – U.S.A.!
41. Texas Motorplex prides itself on offering exceptional customer service that defines Southern Hospitality
42. Fans are allowed to walk on the racing surface WITH pro racers before the action starts on Championship Sunday morning
43. The Motorplex has been the site for first career wins for champions including Tony Schumacher and Antron Brown and more!
44. Traxxas has the best remote controlled cars in the world and they have a display where you can test out the cars before you take one home
45. There are no second chances on Championship Sunday in drag racing – teams either win or pack up and go home!
46. Women are racing – and winning – in every professional category
47. AAA Texas members can save up to 25% on tickets AND get VIP parking!
48. While the series is carried on ESPN, nothing is better than watching drag racing LIVE and in real time so you can FEEL the action
49. Every winner – in each of the 11 categories – gets a special black Cowboy hat celebrating their big TEXAS win
50. Texas Motorplex hosts the ONLY stop for NHRA Championship drag racing in North Texas
51. NHRA’s Safety Safari is on site during every single run during the event – making it one of the safest forms of extreme sports
52. Alan Reinhart is a ridiculously funny announcer that travels with the NHRA professional tour and tells the best stories on the microphone
53. The Snake & Mongoose movie is coming out in early September and you never know when you will run into Mongoose at his home track, Texas Motorplex
54. The AAA Texas NHRA Fall Nationals signals the end of the summer, ushering in fall – which in Texas means… FOOTBALL!
55. The VIP suites offer a view overlooking the track with the comforts of leather sofas, kitchen amenities and catering
56. Turkey legs are a fan favorite item in the food court
57. Texas Motorplex started the trend of painting their walls a color other than white 10 Years ago. What color will it be this year?
58. There are Multiple Texans returning home to compete in the Pro classes
59. Every seat is a great seat – and close to the action
60. The AAA stage has tons of contests and great prize giveaways
61. You just never know when you will be seen on ESPN during the full weekend of coverage
62. Race teams tend to give away used or blown up parts to fans as souvenirs, which explains why you see people walking around with Top Fuel ties rolling by their side
63. We think VHT – the traction compound used to help the nitro-burning monsters stick to the track – smells like strawberries
64. There are two ADA platform to give our accessible-needs fans the best view possible
65. Texas Motorplex was the first drag racing facility to put outside balconies on the suite tower
66. We have fans that have been sitting in the same two seats for the first 27 years of NHRA racing at Texas Motorplex. What will your tradition be?
67. There is an entertainment team trackside that gives away free stuff including tickets to other Motorplex events!
68. Super Seat ticket package holders get a special gift from AAA Texas during the event
69. Champion’s Club tickets include VIP parking!
70. We have one of the largest box offices to ensure fans get tickets and get into the gates QUICK!
71. Harley-Davidson has a huge display with dozens of bikes you can sit on to get your Biker on!
72. NHRA has more than 80,000 members around the world, making it one of the largest motorsports sanctioning bodies in the world
73. Two of the 2012 NHRA Mello Yello Series Champions – Antron Brown (TF) and Allen Johnson (PS) – captured event glory at the Motorplex before going on to win series titles
74. It’s the only track where you can get an icy cold beverage in a 32-ounce mason jar
75. You can print your tickets at home so you get into the pits quicker
76. The Motorplex is located between I-35 and I-45, right on highway 287, so it’s easy to find!
77. Where else can you see a Zamboni outside in the Texas heat?
78. The best burnouts in the world are done by drag racers at Texas Motorplex
79. This is a drag strip in Texas! Wearing a long-sleeve camouflage shirt under your Ron Capps team shirt is normal!
80. John Force is the most respected, wildly outspoken, popular and winningest driver in all of motorports… And he spends hours signing autographs at the Motorplex
81. We play text-to-win games that give winners the opportunity to meet drivers IN THEIR pit areas next to the cars and crew
82. The NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series puts on national events at just 21 tracks in the world – Texas Motorplex is one of them
83. People just like saying: Funny Car
84. Some of the Motorplex staff are paid to be BEER GUARDS (no, seriously)
85. Drag racing has some of the most loyal and exciting fans in any sport; Texas Motorplex has the best fans in the world
86. The AAA Texas NHRA Fall Nationals features ALL FOUR pro categories and SEVEN sportsman categories meaning there is a category for all race fans!
87. Texas Motorplex opened its gates in 1986 and will play host to the 28th NHRA Fall Nationals event in 2013… It’s tradition in North Texas and you don’t mess with tradition (or Texas!)
88. You never know what future star will make their professional debut at the Motorplex. Funny Car driver Alexis DeJoria made her pro debut at the Motorplex in 2012 – one of many to do so over the years.
89. Two nitro-burning monsters battling an all-concrete surface IS the ultimate reality show. No DVR required!
90. Hey, this is Texas Motorplex! The original is still the best place to watch drag racing… PERIOD!
Texas Motorplex was the first all-concrete stadium-style drag racing facility ever constructed. Built in 1986, Texas Motorplex has been the place of many drag racing milestones and world record performances. The Billy Meyer-owned facility hosts a number of racing and car show events between March and November each year and also features the Champion’s Club – an 11,000 square-foot facility – that serves fully catered events throughout the year.