Basic Safety Requirements
These are basic safety rules to be able to race at the Texas Motorplex. For detailed information regarding NHRA categories and rules obtain an official NHRA Rule Book www.NHRA.com. For more information about Texas Motorplex regulations contact the Texas Motorplex office at 972-878-2641.
Elapsed time requirements are for quarter mile times. Some may include eighth mile equivalent times in parentheses. Rules are subject to change.
- A valid state driver’s license is required for all drivers.
- All drivers are required to wear long pants, a shirt with sleeves (no tank tops) , and closed toe shoes (no sandals).
- All vehicles are required to have at least one functional taillight.
- Only the driver is allowed to go down the track. No passengers or animals allowed.
- Drivers in cars running 13.99 (8.59) seconds or quicker, and all dune buggy type vehicles runnning 14.00 (8.60) and slower are required to wear a helmet meeting SNELL 95 or SFI 31.1, 31.2, 41.1, or 41.2 Specs
- Drivers running 10.00 (6.40) to 11.49 (7.35) must wear a jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.3/1.
- Drivers running 9.99 (6.39) to 7.50 (4.50) or any vehicle exceeding 135 mph are required to wear a jacket and pants meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/5 and gloves meeting SFI Spec 3.3/1.
- A valid NHRA Competition license is required for any vehicle running 9.99 (6.39) or quicker.
- All motorcycle riders are required to wear a full face helmet meeting above Specs, leather jacket, leather boots/shoes above the ankle, and leather gloves. Full all leathers or SFI Spec 40.1/2 suit is mandatory on all motorcycles running 120 mph or faster.
- A seat belt is mandatory in all cars. A three inch driver restraint system meeting SFI Spec 16.1 is mandatory in all cars running 11.49 (7.35) or quicker, and in convertibles running 13.49 (8.25) or quicker and all dune buggy type vehicles.
- A roll bar is required on all cars running 11.00 (7.00) to 11.49 (7.35) and in convertibles running 11.00 to 13.49 and in all dune buggy type vehicles running 12.00 and slower. See the NHRA Rule Book for more detailed information.
- A roll cage is mandatory in all cars running 10.99 (6.99) and quicker or any car exceeding 135 mph. See NHRA Rule Book for more information.
- A driveshaft loop is required on all cars running 13.99 (8.59) seconds and quicker, except vehicles running 13.00 and slower equipped with street tires.
- As of March 20,2009 SFI, Inc. has issued a Notice of Decertification to Impact Racing Products, Inc. regarding Driver suits, pants and jackets manufactured in 2008 identified as compliant with SFI Specification 3.2A/15 or 3.2A/20. Also, Driver shoes and boots manufactured in 2008 identified as compliant with SFI Specification 3.3/15 or 3.3/20. SFI has informed NHRA that products manufactured in 2007 and 2009 are being further evaluated by SFI. (as of 3/20/2009).